Bug Club information and guide for parents
/ Categories: Class Blogs, Acorns, FS1 Blog, FS2 Blog, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6
Dear Parent or Carer,
Our school is using a reading system called Bug Club. Please click here to view parents guide to access Bug Club
What is Bug Club?
Bug Club is a levelled reading scheme, which ensures that your child has access to books at their level. All of the books are available online and each child has their own personalised homepage.
Using Bug Club
To access Bug Club online then go to the website:
The school ID is nrsg
Each child will be allocated their own unique username and password. If your child loses theirs, please ask for a replacement.
Reading a book online
Your child is allocated a book according to their reading level. These books will appear in the ‘My Stuff’ area on their homepage. Throughout the books there are questions for your child to answer based on the book that they are reading. Teachers will be able to see your child’s response through the teacher site. To answer a question just click on the bug icon.
When your child has answered the questions in a book, they will earn coins. These coins can then be used to buy ‘a reward’ from the reward scheme.
Teachers will be able to allocate more books when your child is running low in their account.
How to help your child
- Find time to sit with your child so that you can share the online books with your child.
- Talk to your child about the book that they are reading. Look at the front cover and talk about what the book might be about.
- Listen to book together and help your child to follow the words. This can be done my clicking on the speaker icon.
- After listening to the book get the child to read the book to you.
- Re-read the book again if needed so that they can read the book fluently before moving on to the next book.
- Aim to read two books a week so that quality time can be spent reading each book.
Remember: books should be read more than once so that your child can become fluent readers.
If you need help
If you need any help with Bug Club, please ask your child’s class teacher.